Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Orange-Ginger Glazed Pork Medallions



Tenderloin of pork is such a wonderful meat. Lean, nutritious, and yet so...tender. Aptly named, I guess! This recipe is based on one I clipped from a food magazine many moons ago....it was about healthy takes on comfort foods. I am not sure I'd consider this a comfort food, or even all that healthy of a recipe; the healthiness can really be attributed to the type of meat itself rather than working any healthy magic. It's really yummy though, and overall a good choice for dinner. Really quick too!

Orange-Ginger Glazed Pork Medallions
adapted from Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook Issue April 2008

400g pork tenderloin (about one medium-sized tenderloin)
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp orange marmalade
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp siratcha or other hot sauce

Cut pork into medallions about 1.5" thick and season both sides of each one with salt and pepper. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and and coat with olive oil cooking spray. Place pork medallions in, leaving room between each one, they don't like to be crowded. Brown on both sides. By the time they are well-browned they should also be cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. While they are cooking, combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl. Remove the pork from the pan and put on a plate to rest. Dump the bowl of marmalade mixture into the still-hot pan, this will deglaze it and let the sauce simmer down until it's thickened, maybe 3 minutes. Put the pork and any juices on the plate into the pan with the sauce; toss the medallions around to coat. Done and done!

I like to serve this with a quinoa pilaf, ideally with extra sauce to drizzle over the pilaf...but that's optional! Serves two hungry people.

Nutritional values: For half the recipe: 316 calories, 8.9g fat, 12.2g protein, 16g carbs, 0 fibre, 200mg sodium.

And because I thought it was funny, here is a picture of my actual non-styled dinner including the massive pile of greens that dwarf the medallions:

6 comments:

  1. Yummy! If only I could get L to eat pork.

    I love seeing the shot of your actual meal - look at all those greens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell him it's chicken lol....actually this would work quite nicely with chicken thighs as well.

    Yup it's a big-ass pile of greens alright!Mmmmm cabbage sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish! I'll have to add the ingredients I'm missing to my shopping list.

    You know... I've never made pork tenderloin in a frying pan? Always roasted it... hmm....

    And you know what else? Embarassing fact: I've never really had a clue what exactly a pilaf is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure the exact translation of pilaf is "rice (or other grain) with stuff in it". You just saute up some minced aromatics like garlic, onions, or ginger, and some chopped veggies like red pepper, celery, or spinach, add some flavour enhancers (I like to cook my rice/ quinoa in chicken broth) and toss it altogether and voila, you've made a pilaf and are fancy.

    Tip for cooking pork tenderloin medallions in a pan: after you cut them, kinda mash them down a bit with you fingers to increase surface size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet, tangy, spicy and some heat....perfect for that pork loin. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dish simply looks amazing.I love hot ,spicy and tangy flavors.Will try your recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete