Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hot and Miso Soup




I love a good bowl of Japanese miso soup. I also love Hot and Sour Soup, I think it's Chinese. There are elements of each soup that I adore, like the spiciness and thickness of Hot and Sour, and the tang and depth of flavour of Miso. So, I decided to do a soup morph...Hot and Sour, meet Miso... muah ha ha, two cultures unite to form one Super-Soup!!! Also this soup is a rich source of very low-fat proteins, and it's insane how much of this soup you can eat for very few calories. It is very quick and easy to make. It fills you up and warms your belleh!

Hot and Miso Soup

6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 square rice vermicelli noodles
1 Tbsp miso paste
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp Sambal Olek (chili-garlic paste)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 C mushrooms, sliced
170g (half a package) medium tofu, cut into 1 cm cubes
1 bunch gai lan or other dark leafy greens, chopped
200g raw shrimp or prawns
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
3 green onions, sliced

Heat the broth and add the next 7 ingredients (up to tofu). Simmer gently for 5 minutes, then add the greens and prawns. Simmer one minute and then gently swirl in the egg whites. Garnish with green onions. Makes three generous portions, great for lunches!

Nutritional Values: 164 calories, 4g fat, 20g protein, 11g carbs, 1g fibre, 900g sodium. Yeah the sodium is high, sometimes you just have to deal and drink lots of water.

Alternative ingredients: Sometimes I also add bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, broccoli, or shredded cabbage.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds so good! I think I could make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheila! It's easy peasy and something I love to eat when I am looking for volume without a lot of calories.

    ReplyDelete